Thursday, April 7, 2011

How will my baby turn out?

      
   Earlier today I was thinking about how good or bad of a father I would be. All of my thoughts were totally positive except one... The thought of me putting my all into shaping this child's persona and he/she going the exact opposite like kind of how I did with my parents. My parents weren't married and they tried to have a relationship a few times in my early youth. Even though they weren't married, they both supported each other in the teaching and shaping of the Man I am today.

   As I reflect, I feel like I had a very good upbringing. My mother was a hard working christian whom I spent most of my time with giving me the great work ethic that I have. She was strong willed and stood up for what was right. Even if she was the only one standing. She was a teacher and took out the time to actually show me how things were. Giving me understanding of things and situations at a young age.

My father on the other hand was a slick talking, witty, hard working, blue collar type of guy. He was fair in matters with people. He was a avid music lover, exposing me to various genres. The qualities that both parents displayed in my upbringing made me the man I am today.

I wonder what qualities I will pass down to my child. Will it love basketball like I do? Will it be able to judge a person's character fairly like I do? Will it be a hard worker like me? Will it be respectful of others like me? Will it be funny like me?

All these questions and more have been running through my head since the day I found out my woman was pregnant. I wouldn't call these questions stressful questions though. I call them "cautionary questions". They will be answered soon enough. And when he/she reads this, it will hopefully make the right decision to be an upstanding citizen, a superb African American, and a really funny person.

How was your day today?

No comments:

Post a Comment